On May 19th 2015 the East Hertfordshire Lodge commemorated its first century by celebrating in style at its spiritual home of Mayflower Place in Hertingfordbury.
Records show that in early 1914, “Several prominent Freemasons residing or having interest in the Province of Hertfordshire, considered the time had come when it was desirable that a new Lodge should be formed in the Province which would be conducted strictly in accordance with the highest traditions of Freemasonry and kept exclusively for men of good position and who take a sincere interest in Freemasonry.”
A preliminary meeting was called for on the 19th March 1914 and it was resolved that a petition be presented to the Grand Master, praying for a Warrant of Constitution.
This petition, having been granted, the Lodge was consecrated by R W Bro the Rt Hon T F Halsey, Deputy Grand Master, Provincial Grand Master of Hertfordshire, assisted by W Bro Charles Edward Keyser, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, on Wednesday 19th May 1915 in the Temple of Frascati’s Restaurant, Oxford Street, London.
Thus the East Hertfordshire Lodge was formed and 100 years later to the day was presented with a Centenary Warrant by the Provincial Grand Master R W Bro Paul Gower in what proved to be a most impressive ceremony.
As well as the Provincial Grand Master’s usual team of Sword Bearers, Standard Bearers and Stewards, he was supported by three Assistant Provincial Grand Masters, W Bros David Ferris, James Harrison and Jay Patel, and attended by the Provincial Grand Wardens, W Bros Stuart Hutchinson and Peter Walters. He was further accompanied by the Provincial Grand Chaplain, W Bro Anthony Wright, the Provincial Grand Secretary W Bro Hugh Oram, Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies, W Bro Keith Dunnett and Provincial Grand Organist, W Bro Nicholas Murdoch; all of whom took an active part in the formal proceedings.
An interesting and poignant reminder of the Great War was made by the Provincial Grand Chaplain in his Oration; drawing on the fact that the East Hertfordshire Lodge was formed at a time when the world was in great turmoil.
The Warrant was received on behalf of the Lodge by its 101st Master, W Bro Thomas Day, who had not only been initiated into the Lodge in 2010 by his father, W Bro Philip Day, but also happened to have been the Lodge’s 100th Master; thereby enjoying the privilege of installing his son as Master in March this year.
The celebrations culminated in a superb Festive Board which will remain in the memory of those present for many years to come. In all, almost a hundred members and guests enjoyed the festivities; each being presented with an engraved whiskey tasting tumbler as a memento of the occasion. The evening was rounded off by '100 Years of Song', performed by the Provincial Singers and led by W Bro Ken Burgess.